Monday, June 28, 2010

Student Devotion Week 41: Prophet Jeremiah: Chosen For Bad News

Key Verse: Jeremiah 1:5, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

When I was in college, a girl from my youth group was killed in a car wreck. I hadn't seen her in five years, but the news still shocked me. The wreck happened on a weekend, and on Monday I talked with a close friend of this girl. After I told her to pass on my sympathy to the girl's family, I made a startling discovery: she'd been out of town, and no one had told her that her friend had died unexpectedly.

The prophet Jeremiah knew what it was like to be the bearer of bad news. God called Jeremiah to speak out against the sin of the people and warn them that Jerusalem would be destroyed. Needless to say, his message wasn't very popular. People plotted to kill him.

Jeremiah's prophecies were so vivid, he cried over what was about to happen. He was even nicknamed "the weeping prophet." Jeremiah always held to God's promise of protection from his enemies-and God kept his promise. After the reign of King Zedekiah, Judah was invaded by the Babylonians, and the people were taken into captivity.

People love to hear about God's love and grace, but the truth about sin, judgment, and eternal punishment isn't very popular. God may call you to risk it all and speak his truth to someone. Don't expect to be congratulated. People may respond with anger. Even so, you can be confident you'll experience the presence and protection of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment