Sunday, January 9, 2011

Student Devotion Week 18: Reaching the Lost: Paul's First Missionary Journey

Key Verse: Acts 13:2-3, "While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off."

If you've never been outside the United States, it's tempting to assume everyone around the world lives like you do. My first mission trip to Mexico cured me of that delusion. I had the privilege of helping build small houses for people who lived in huts made out of garbage-literally. Until then, I'd never thought about the needs of those who lived so far away from my day-to-day existence. But once I saw their needs, I could never forget them. Even though their physical needs were striking, they had deeper needs than the physical ones.

This week we see God sending out missionaries to reach a lost world as Paul embarks on his first missionary journey. Some pretty amazing things happen on this trip. But the most important thing is that the message of Christ is preached to people who'd probably never heard it before. The influence of the gospel is beginning to be felt outside Judea, Galilee, and Samaria.

God never forgets about the needs of non-Christians, and God wants them all to come to faith in Christ. In order to accomplish that goal, God is sending us-all of us. No matter who we are or what our spiritual gifts are, all of us are to be involved in reaching non-Christians with the message of Jesus Christ. And until those needs are met, we all have a job to do. So pack your bags. It's time to get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment