Sunday, May 20, 2012

Student Weekly Devotional Session 1: Moses: Surrender to the Mission


Key Verses: Exodus 3:1-14, "Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God.2 There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. 3 So Moses thought, “I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up.”
4 When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush,“Moses! Moses!”
And Moses said, “Here I am.”
5 “Do not come any closer,” God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.” 6 Then he said, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.” At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.
7 The LORD said, “I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. 8 So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey —the home of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 9 And now the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them.10 So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.”
11 But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”
12 And God said, “I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain. ”
13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”
14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’"

Viral video. The mystery and intrigue of those two words is almost unbearable. Will it be hilarious, bizarre, amazing, or disgusting? Whatever it might be, something about a viral video draws your attention. You just have to look! After seeing it, you can't help but want to share it with everyone. It gets passed around from one person to the next. It's contagious.

Check out Exodus 3:1-14. Moses was in the middle of a normal day, doing shepherd stuff, when God sent Him an incredible message. Nobody had ever seen anything like this before; Moses couldn't help but look. (Now this may not sound impressive today with our technology and special effects, but stop for a second to think about the miracle of the burning bush). The Israelites were suffering. God knew it. He drew Moses' attention and called him to take action.

Moses didn't feel worthy to be used by God, and he wasn't. Neither are we. But God is calling us to action as well. There are people all around you in bondage to sin, suffering from abuse, or crying out in exhaustion. The truth will set them free. What does God have to do to get your attention, so that you will listen and respond?

Two words: I AM. (That's how God identified Himself to Moses). Unlike everything else, God doesn't change. He isn't some passing fad. God is mysterious. Life with Him should intrigue you. It's OK if it even scares you a little. But once you get a glimpse of God's mission, it becomes contagious. You can't wait to share Him with everyone else. So, spread the gospel today. God is aware of what's happening and He's asking you to step up, speak out, and do something about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment