Sunday, July 1, 2012

Student Devotion Week 1: The Real Enemy

Key Verses: John 15:18-25; 16:33 (18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. 24 If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’ 33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”)

History is full of examples of undeserved persecution.

During the Russian Civil War nearly 500,000 Cossacks were killed or deported by the Bolsheviks.

At one time in the history of both South Africa and the United States, having black skin meant an individual was a second-class citizen.

In World War II, the Nazis sought to exterminate the Jews simply due to their ethnic origin.

The U.S. Government decimated the Native American population in the 19th century in an effort to take over their land.

In each of these cases, and in the numerous other instances of persecution, the parties being persecuted did nothing to deserve the treatment they experienced. The persecution was unjust, unexpected, and completely unfounded.

There is a different kind of persecution going on all over the world today. This persecution is ages old. And it was predicted thousands of years ago. Yet, it goes on today...still. The interesting thing is that you might have even experienced it.


What is persecution? It is the persecution Christ-followers experience because of the name of Jesus. Maybe you've had conflict in your life because you identify yourself as a follower of Jesus. If you have ever stood up for your faith, and someone made fun of or marginalized you because of it, then you know what it means to feel rejected because of Christ.

But this should come as no surprise to you. In fact, Jesus predicted it long ago. Read John 15:18-25 and John 16:33. People hated Jesus simply because He was God's son. Jesus knew this. And He knew that people would hate you because you follow God's son. While it might not seem fair or logical, it is part of the truth of being a disciple of Jesus.



So how should you respond? Pray for those who persecute you. Live a life of obedience and commitment to God regardless of what happens. And take confidence in Jesus' words recorded in John chapter 16: "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart!"

No comments:

Post a Comment