Friday, July 8, 2011

Student Devotion Week 42: Equipping For Ministry: Letter To The Ephesians (Part 2 of 2)

Ephesians 4:15, "Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ."

I didn't enjoy a particular high school English class. My teacher always made me revise my essays. She was never satisfied with my first tries, and she rarely gave out compliments. Ugh! I don't even like thinking about it. But looking back years later, I now have to say that it was probably one of the best teachers I ever had. Why? Because she actually challenged me to learn something-and I did. In fact, I learned a lot.

Teachers aren't there to be our buddies but to make sure we learn things we may not even want to learn. Without them, we'd never become the people God wants us to be.

Still writing from prison, Paul tried to help the Ephesians understand the different kinds of leadership in the church. He was helping them see that certain people were called to teach them and to lead them. If they were going to grow in faith, then they'd have to follow these people and work toward growing as Christians.

We tend to view learning from our church leaders in the same way I viewed learning from my English teacher: "Do I have to do this?" How many sermons have we dutifully sat through without actually learning anything? But if we submit to doing the work, then we'll find we can accomplish more than before. This week we're going to look at how our pastors and teachers help equip us for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment