Friday, July 29, 2011

Student Devotion Week 45: Every Opportunity: Paul Preaches in Prison

Key Verse: Acts 28:28, "Therefore I want you to know that God's salvation has been sent to the Gentiles, and they will listen!"

God uses us in amazing ways, and many times we don't even see it coming. A few years ago I was preaching at a summer camp on a college campus. One night I went backstage to help counsel the students who responded to the invitation to become Christians. But I stopped in the restroom on way. As I entered the bathroom, a young guy followed me. After a few awkward pleasantries, he said, "I've never really been saved before." He told me this in the bathroom. (I definitely didn't see that one coming!) So, after we walked out of the restroom, I had the privilege of introducing him to Christ.

When we left Paul last week, he was just getting to Rome. In Acts 28 we find out that, just as before, Paul was going to be in jail for a long time. For some people this would've been a huge letdown. But for Paul? No problem. He didn't allow pesky details like imprisonment keep him from faithfully sharing the gospel every day.

Opportunities to serve and share Christ are everywhere. The trick is learning to see them. Once we realize that we can literally serve Christ 24/7, things get interesting. This week we're going to try to follow Paul's lead and learn how to take advantage of every opportunity we find to serve Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment